Jonathan, the father of Elias mentioned in the previous chapter, had a younger brother named Moses. He was the last child born to Elias II and Elizabeth. It is from Moses that I am descended, not Jonathan. I added in the previous information about Jonathan & Elias simply because they portray a fascinating jaunt into early Cornelius history.
Anyway, when Moses became an adult he would marry a young woman by the name of Ann (Nancy) Carmen in 1767. She was the eldest of eight children of Samuel and Mary Carmen. She was born in Hempstead, Suffolk, New York in 1749. She and Moses also had eight children.
6. Moses and Anna Cornelius
1. Samuel born August 14th 1769 died April 24th 1845
2. John born August 25th 1773 died July 27th 1830
3. Elizabeth born [twin of John] died ..........
4. Mary born October 4th 1775 died June 26th 1864
5. Henry born January 20th 1780 died June 12th 1855
6. William born 1782 died Winter 1802/03 [?]
7. Moses born 1785 died [died very young]
8. Benjamin born June 9th 1788 died May 13th 1874
Moses Cornelius died in Farmingdale, Nassau, New York in September of 1796. I have no idea when his wife died. Their second child, whom he named John Cornelius, would marry Hannah Darby in 1800. She was born in 1774. Together they would have four children.
7. John and Hannah Cornelius
1. William born March 3rd 1802 died November 16th 1865
2. Moses born July 24th 1805 died December 19th 1880
3. Sarah Ann born July 29th 1807 died March 12th 1815
4. Jacob born Sept. 23rd 1809 died November 26th 1885
John Cornelius died on July 27th 1830 in Farmingdale, Nassau, New York. His wife Hannah lived for another nineteen years and she died on August 9th in 1849. Their 2nd child would also carry the name Moses like his grandfather. When Moses grew up he fell in love and married a woman by the name of Mary Place on September 4th 1828. She was born on September 13th in 1812. Together, Moses and Mary would have eleven children.
8. Moses and Mary Cornelius
1. Zephaniah born Sept. 9th 1829 died April 6th 1911
2. Sarah Anna born July 2nd 1831 died July 3rd 1907
3. Mary Elizabeth born June 12th 1834 died December 10th 1846
4. John born Aug. 20th 1836 died October 13th 1899
5. Jacob born March 23,1840 died December 20th 1909
6. William born Aug. 12th 1842 died August 12th 1844
7. Levina born Feb. 2nd 1845 died November 2nd 1846
8. Mary born Oct.25th 1847 died July 30th 1913
* 9. Moses born April 18th 1850 died July 21st 1918
10. Hannah Jane born May 27th 1853 died July 31st 1880
11. Solomon Place born Jan. 1st 1857 died August 4th 1898
Moses died on December 6th 1880 and was buried on the 19th in Farmingdale. His wife Mary had died eight years earlier on February 13th in 1872.
* The following photos have graciously been supplied by Allan R. Cornelius, a direct descendant of Moses H. Cornelius (1850-1918). Moses spent most of his life in Amityville, Long Island. A possession that he had, which has come to be passed down into his family, is the original mariner's fog horn or conch shell that was used by Captain Aaron Cornelius aboard the Canary Bird. The photos below are taken of the mariner’s fog horn as it is seen today. The pictures were taken by its present owner, Bruce E. Cornelius of Merrimack, NH. He is the nephew of Allan R. Cornelius, the great great grandson of Moses H. Cornelius [1850-1918], the great grandson of John D. Cornelius Sr. [1888-1957], and the grandson of John D. Cornelius, Jr. [1911-1996].